Friday, July 31, 2009

Rain on me.


I stand on the porch in front of a gray lake, rain coming down. The smell is rain, pine, lake, sand, old wood in the cabin. It's beautiful but the ugliest side of my character is spoiling what could be a lovely moment. Our disorganized lives are poured out on the kitchen table. I can't find anything without a lot of searching. I complain and let my feelings shower themselves all over my family; not a pleasant rain shower, a hail storm. Icy words come out of my mouth that I regret instantly and pelt my kids without warning. My husband gets the largest of the hailstones, but he stands as a rock as usual. Correcting me, pointing me to the blessings, and then just goes to sleep. Tomorrow is a new day. No moving, no driving, no empty house, no racing around, just me and kids and my rock of a husband, dog, lake, rocks, and woods.

Thank you God for this place. Thank you for the situation you have put me in. Let the rain that comes out of me be soothing showers of your goodness, and let the fragrance of it afterwards remain all day.

Listen, you heavens, and I will speak; hear, you earth, the words of my mouth.

Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass like abundant rain on tender plants.

I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!

Deuteronomy 32

1 comment:

  1. Lisa, your openness and faith are amazing. Yesterday I did the same thing- I pelted my poor family with my "upsetedness." Today I need to try harder to at least be kind and follow Thumper's advice. ("If you can't say something nice....") The scriptures you've included bring everything back to where it should be- our faith in God. How can my faith be less than a grain of mustard seed? And yet sometimes I feel like it must be. Otherwise, why do I act the way I do instead of how He would have me act? I hope today can be a day where we lean on the Lord and feel His arms around us. Get out the bottle of mustard and hang in there the best you can! By the way- our weather trial comes in a different form. It's going to be 112 deg. today. Hot enough to cook dinner outside without an oven! Love you- Sharon

    ReplyDelete